About Me

My photo
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I'm a Zone 8. I'm doing a little gardening to satisfy a curiosity to see whether or not I can do it. People make it look so easy-- what's stopping me from making it work? Contrary to my name ("Hana" means flower in Japanese) I have a history of killing plants. Well, most of them. Let's see how this one goes!

Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Best Time of Year

So today is Planting Day. Well, Planting Day, Part I. During a brief sojourn to the Home Depot we grabbed a couple more herbs (Sweet Basil, Lavender, Greek Oregano, Rosemary) and some marigolds to fill in the empty spaces while the veggies start to fill out. I also bought seeds since they were buy one, get one free and I am a sucker for seeding.

It couldn't be a better day. The sun is hiding behind clouds, it's been drizzling on and off and we had a nice cool rain last night and into the morning. It's currently 60 degrees and supposed to dip just below 40 tonight, which is exciting because that means I can spend all day outside today and tomorrow without dying of heat stroke. My transplantees got a nice little shower and the beds should be fairly moist. So very perfect!

Also, this is the most amazing blog ever for veggie gardeners. The how-to guides are so descriptive and informative, and the photos are just so beautiful and inspirational!

My companion is all about self-sufficiency and his aunt has a wonderful mini-victory garden of her own so I feel totally supported by everyone around me. I don't think I've ever been this excited about starting a garden, even when I had to start from scratch all on my own two years ago.

Okay, time to stop blogging and to get outside! Yay!

AMENDMENT (1:30ish):
So about an hour or so later and it started to rain for real-- no more of this light drizzle. So back indoors it is, and since I have some new seeds (and a shoebox full of old ones) I will start some seedlings. It's all very exciting. I love today so much :D

2 comments:

Meems said...

Welcome back Hana,
I just replied to you on my blog and thought I'd follow your link back to see if you had decided "to remember your password".

Glad you are back to gardening. It is the best time of year. All is waking up and desiring to grow! Sounds like you have lots of support this time around so maybe this garden will come a little easier.

It was SO nice to hear from you. I look forward to following your progress in your new home.
Meems

Chris and his Sweet Basil said...

Hello there! I see I found your blog just in time to start your garden adventure.

We have a couple of similar "items". I have sweet basil and tomatoes too. Hope to read more.